Diagon Alley at Universal Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter has already welcomed millions of guests since its opening in July 2014, transporting visitors to the magical world of Muggles, half-bloods, and wizards alike. What you may not notice among the details and bustling of the park are the Easter eggs that have been incorporated into the Diagon Alley for guests to find. Next time you visit Diagon Alley at Universal Orlando, keep an eye out for some of our favorite notable “secrets” and tributes that create Harry Potter’s magical universe.
- Kreacher the House Elf, who serves the House of Black in the books and films, can be seen peeking out of the 2nd floor windows of 12 Grimmauld Place. You can watch for him about once per minute in the window directly above the number 12 door at Diagon Alley.
- At the Magical Menagerie shop in the North Side of Diagon Alley, you’ll find a snake in the window who will speak to you in Parseltongue, the language of serpents which Harry Potter can understand, as well as English. The Easter egg replicates the moment in the books where Harry meets a snake at the zoo in the Sorcerer’s Stone, and doesn’t yet realize his Parseltongue abilities.
- In Ollivanders, you’ll find the ingredients used to create wands, including items such as phoenix feathers, dragon heartstrings and unicorn hairs. Harry Potter and Voldemort’s wands are created using phoenix feathers, while Hermione’s wand has a dragon heartstring at its core. Ron’s wand is created with unicorn hair.
- If you venture through Kings Cross Station, you’ll come across a perfume ad that is extremely similar to the one you’ll find Harry and Professor Dumbledoor standing in front of in the film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- Although it does look pretty, the red phone booth located outside of Diagon Alley isn’t just for show. If you make your way inside and dial 62442 (MAGIC) on the phone, you’ll be connected to the Ministry of Magic!
- In the Gringotts Money Exchange, you can actually talk to the animatronic goblin. Go ahead and ask him how old he is, or if he is a house elf and see how he responds! He might also notice when you pull out your camera to take a photo…
- The mermaid you see in the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire during the Triwizard Tournament in the Hogwarts lake can be found in statue form behind Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. Have your wand ready – the water fountain will turn on if you perform the right spell!
- Several tributes to the former Jaws ride are scattered throughout Diagon Alley, where the ride was located before its closure in 2012. In Knockturn Alley, the shrunken heads on display sing “Show Me the Way to Go Home,” a song sung by the three heroes in the movie Jaws. You can also find a set of shark jawbones in the storefront of Mr. Mulpepper’s Apothecary.
- The Crumple-Horned Snorkack is an elusive mystical beast, and also happens to be Luna Lovegood’s favorite creature. It was never found by Luna, who had searched the globe for impossible creatures for years. The creature, however, can be found on the second level of the Magical Menagerie store.
- One secret, which probably isn’t much of a secret, is that every 15 minutes or so, the dragon atop Gringotts Bank will breathe fire. It’s pretty hard to miss as it will make a loud sound just before the fire appears.
- If you’ve purchased an interactive wand from Ollivanders, you can find hidden secrets throughout Diagon Alley that will come to life if you perform the correct spell using your wand. Look for the sensors above the shop windows and the plaques on the ground, which will show you which wand motion to perform. If you make your way to Knockturn Alley, bring your map, stand with it under a blacklight, and the spells written in “invisible ink” will be revealed!
- If you’re waiting on the Kings Cross platform, you might just come across Harry’s owl Hedwig waiting to board the train!
There are many secrets and Easter eggs to be found throughout Diagon Alley, with all of them contributing to the whimsical, magical experience of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Do you have any favorite secrets or Easter eggs that you’ve found at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando? Shop discount Universal Orlando tickets at Tickets2You.com today to experience the magic for yourself!