How often do you think of theme parks when someone mentions Orlando, FL? Perhaps if you aren’t a native or if it’s your first time visiting, you might think that places like Universal Orlando, Walt Disney World and SeaWorld rule the city. Although the major theme parks are a huge part of tourism in the area, there are many smaller attractions and activities that visitors can check out for much less than a ticket to Disney World. Here are some of our favorite places to have fun in Central Florida if you want to save money and take a break from the theme parks.
1. Take an airboat ride at Boggy Creek Airboats
Believe it or not, Central Florida has some of best places to experience the natural beauty of Florida. Aside from the concrete jungle of the theme parks, guests can experience some of Florida’s wetlands on an airboat expedition at Boggy Creek Airboat Rides. True nature comes to life all around you during your airboating experience as your Master Captain whisks you across the surface of the water at speeds of up to 45 mph. Guests may encounter Florida alligators, flocks of birds, turtles, and more in their natural environment.
2. Enjoy a tournament of jousting and swordplay at Medieval Times
Sometimes a dinner show is just a dinner show, but in this case it’s more than that. At Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, guests are transported back in time to the 11th century when knights battled for chivalry and noble families ruled the land. Watch a spectacle unfold as the King of the castle invites six of the noblest knights of the realm to compete in an authentic tournament of jousting, sword fighting, and horseback riding. Did we mention that you can do all of this while enjoying a four course feast?
3. Take a day trip to the east coast and visit the Cocoa Beach Pier
About an hour drive away from Central Florida is Florida’s east coast. If you have a day to spare during your vacation, suit up and head over to Cocoa Beach for a dip in the ocean and lunch at the Cocoa Beach Pier. The world-famous Cocoa Beach Pier spans 800 feet over the Atlantic Ocean and features restaurants, bars, gift shops and live musical entertainment. The pier also offers beach rentals, fishing equipment rentals, and volleyball courts so you can enjoy your beach adventure.
4. Learn about space travel at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
If you’re already checking out the east coast, stop by the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and celebrate one of humankind’s greatest achievements. Featuring the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit, shuttle launch experience and more, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex brings to life the stories of space travel and the incredible journeys of orbiting earth. Meet a veteran astronaut, see the first rockets sent into space, or relive the excitement of the Apollo era all at Kennedy Space Center.
5. Check out I-Drive 360
I-Drive 360 is Orlando’s newest entertainment destination featuring popular attractions, shops and restaurants all within one complex. If you want to get away from the theme parks but still want to check out some of Orlando’s top attractions, this is the best place to start. Along with numerous dining and shopping experiences, you’ll find an arcade, The Orlando Eye, the world-famous Madame Tussauds Orlando, SEA LIFE Aquarium, and Skeletons: Animals Unveiled!
- The Orlando Eye: See all that Orlando has to offer – literally! This iconic 400ft tall observation wheel lifts you high into the sky where you can see Orlando in a way you’ve never seen it before. The Orlando Eye provides breathtaking views of Orlando’s skyline, nearby theme parks, natural landscapes, and if you’re lucky, Kennedy Space Center on a clear day!
- Madame Tussauds: If you’re unfamiliar with the name, you won’t be after this unique experience. Madame Tussauds is the world’s most famous celebrity wax attraction where you’ll find your favorite athletes, movies stars, pop stars, historical figures and more, recreated into life-size wax replicas!
- SEA LIFE Aquarium: At SEA LIFE Aquarium, you’ll come face-to-face with more than 5,000 underwater creatures including sharks, turtles, colorful fish, seahorses, and much more. Walk through a 360-degree ocean tunnel, or check out the touchpools while learning about how we all can play an active role in marine conservation.
- Skeletons: Animals Unveiled!: Skeletons: Animals Unveiled! is a unique attraction that exposes over 450 animal skeletons composed of real bones. With over 40 exhibits featuring animal skeletons in never-before-seen poses, this is America’s largest skeleton museum.
With so much to do in Orlando, this is only a fraction of experiences you can encounter during your vacation. At Tickets2You.com, we offer discount tickets to all of your favorite attractions. Shop online today at Tickets2You.com for discount attraction tickets!