George Lucas is the mastermind behind both the beloved Star Wars franchise and Indiana Jones, one of the greatest heroes in movie history, so it’s no surprise that each pay homage to one another in the form of Easter eggs, or references that can be discovered by those with a keen eye. Next time you revisit these films, or even when you see them for the first time, make sure you don’t blink and miss these intriguing movie references.
- C-3PO & Obi Wan in Raiders of the Lost Ark: Near the beginning of the film, Indy notoriously grabs the golden idol, narrowly escapes from a rolling boulder, and makes his way to the river bank where Jock Lindsey helps him escape. If you look closely, you’ll notice the letters OB-CPO branding the side of the plane. This is a subtle, yet clever Easter egg that pays homage to both Obi Wan Kenobi and C-3PO.
- R2-D2 & C-3PO: During the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy lifts the Ark of the Covenant out of its crate, you’ll notice him standing beside a pillar decorated in hieroglyphics. You probably remember this moment in the movie, but you may have never noticed that two of the most beloved droids are, in fact, also in this scene – if you look closely, you can see R2-D2 and C-3PO carved into the pillar.
- Princess Leia, R2-D2 & C-3PO: Just before the scene above, when Indy and Sallah are preparing to remove the Ark, you’ll notice a wall of hieroglyphics on the wall behind them. If you look very closely, you can spot a depiction of Princess Leia inserting the Death Star plans into R2-D2.
- Club Obi Wan: Yet another reference to the legendary Jedi Master can be seen in Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom at the very start of the film. The beginning scenes follow Indy, Shortround and Willie as they escape a nightclub in Shanghai that is most aptly named Club Obi Wan, one of the most conspicuous Star Wars references you can find in the films.
- Ark of the Covenant: If you watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series, there’s a nod to the Ark of the Covenant, which is the main focus of the first Indiana Jones film, Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Ark can be seen being loaded onto a ship as droids collect treasures from the planet Ryloth.
- “I have a bad feeling about this”: This phrase is quite common throughout each Star Wars movie, and is spoken twice in Star Wars: A New Hope, and at least once in each subsequent Star Wars movie. You’ll even see it spoken in Star Wars books and comics, as well as in non Star Wars-related projects by George Lucas, including Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
- Rolling Boulder: Star Wars: The Force Awakens contains several Easter eggs that reference other Star Wars films, but only one (that we know of!) that pays homage to Indiana Jones. During the scene where Han and Chewbacca are running from a rolling rathtar, you can hear the sound effects of the rolling boulder that was chasing Indy in the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark!
Are there any other Star Wars and Indiana Jones Easter eggs that pay homage to one another that we missed? Let us know! You can experience both Star Wars and Indiana Jones rides and attractions at Disney’s Hollywood Studios when you purchase discount Disney tickets from Tickets2You.com!