Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with Celiac Disease? Is it the norm for you to spend a little too much time researching restaurants that offer gluten-free dishes? Taking a vacation where your entire trip revolves around finding safe meal options can certainly be pretty frustrating, but if your next vacation takes you to Walt Disney World, you can rest assured knowing that Disney is considered to have some of the highest standards for gluten-free and allergen-friendly dining. Not only is Walt Disney World committed to providing a variety of culinary and dietary options, but many of their resort restaurants now offer allergy-friendly menus to address all types of food intolerances. Before you head to Orlando, here are a few things to keep in mind when eating gluten-free at Walt Disney World.
Disney’s List of Gluten-Friendly Items
Disney is fantastic when it comes to meeting guest accommodations and expectations; after you book your vacation, you can contact Walt Disney World’s Special Dining departments at SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com or call 407-WDW-DINE to make dining reservations and to discuss any special dietary needs. Upon your arrival, your servers will know that gluten-friendly menus will need to be provided. Celebrating a special occasion? Walt Disney World ensures that you don’t miss out on indulging in dessert, and offers gluten-friendly alternatives so you don’t have to bring your own.
You can also request a list of gluten-free items available in each of the four theme parks so you can spend less time researching! In most cases, table-service locations and quick-service locations offer no-gluten added products as an alternative to the main menu items with or without prior notice. For instance, if waffles or pancakes are a main menu item, the location will generally offer gluten-friendly waffles or pancakes as well. Many gluten allergy-friendly products that you may find available at Walt Disney World can be found here:
Disney’s Quick Service Locations
When you arrive at any quick-service restaurant in Walt Disney World, you may request to speak to a chef or manager if you wish to learn more about your dining options; the larger Quick Service locations typically have a Chef or a Manager more readily available, and each quick service location has specific Cast Members who have been extensively trained to better understand and handle special dietary needs. If you do order a gluten-friendly dish, keep in mind that in most cases, the gluten-free options will take longer to prepare than other food items because they are usually not pre-prepared, and are only cooked when someone orders it. The following quick-service locations have items or products that, upon request, may accommodate gluten allergies or intolerances:
Magic Kingdom Park:
- Be Our Guest (Breakfast and Lunch Only)
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café
- Columbia Harbour House
- The Pinocchio Village Haus
- Casey’s Corner
- Liberty Inn
- Sunshine Seasons
- Electric Umbrella
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
- Flame Tree Barbecue
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Backlot Express
- ABC Commissary
Top Gluten-Friendly Options Outside of Disney Parks
If you plan eating outside of the park, there are several restaurants in the Disney area that are popular among those who are Celiac or eat gluten-free. Here are a few favorites:
- Raglan Road Irish Pub: This Disney Springs restaurant has been voted one of the best gluten free restaurants in Orlando and is a favorite among gluten free eaters. Much of their menu can be ordered and prepared gluten-free; they have a gluten-free batter that they can use upon request, and will fry foods in a different fryer that won’t have any gluten in the oil.
- Citricos: Located at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, Citricos is a signature dining restaurant that serves American food infused with Mediterranean flavors. On their allergy-friendly menus for adults and children, they offer dishes that are not just safe for people with gluten allergies, but also those with wheat, egg, milk, soy, peanut, tree nut, fish and shellfish allergies.
- Sanaa: African and Indian flavors characterize the menu at Sanaa, located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas. Their gluten-free menu offers such items as naan made with gluten-free flour, Tandoori chicken, seasonal sustainable fish, a salad sampler, and more. Many of the dishes served at Sanaa are naturally gluten-free, and they even make their own sorbets in-house. One of the best parts of eating here is that you can enjoy great views of African wildlife just outside on the savannas!
- California Grill: As one of the best signature dining locations at Walt Disney World, California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort offers a fantastic array of gluten-free dishes that showcase the flavors of the Pacific Coast including gluten-free sushi, fresh seafood, decadent desserts and more. The menu changes seasonally but always features dishes that celebrate the diverse culture of California.
- Boma: At Boma, a buffet-style restaurant located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, you don’t have to worry about whether or not there will be something gluten-free because there are plenty of delicious gluten-free options available. From soup and slow-roasted pork ribs, to roasted salmon and even delicious sweets, Boma’s impressive selection of gluten-free dishes means you don’t really have to spend too much time planning your meal ahead of time.
Gluten-Friendly Resources for Walt Disney World
If you really want to dive in and learn more about eating gluten-free at Walt Disney World and around the Orlando area, check out these resources solely dedicated to gluten-friendly dining:
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Walt Disney World: http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/
- Gluten Free in Orlando: http://www.gfinorlando.com/p/disney_31.html
- Allergy Free Mouse: http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/
Take the stress out of planning your vacation around gluten-friendly dining and remember that Walt Disney World is committed to offering a wide-range of dietary and culinary options to accommodate the unique needs of each guest. Experience the variety of dining options you have by shopping discount Disney tickets at Tickets2You.com and visiting all four Disney parks at the best prices guaranteed.