Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge FINALLY opens at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on August 29! The 14-acre park expansion, set in the Black Spire Outpost on Planet Batuu, is Disney World’s most immersive land yet. Several attractions closed to make way for this new land, including the Studio Backlot Tour, Streets of America, Extreme Stunt Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids: Movie Set Adventure, and Lights, Motors, ACTION!
Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is set on a planet called Bantuu in Black Spire Outpost, a remote village named for unique black spires formed from eroded and petrified trees located all around the village. The centerpiece of the land is a larger, darker spire that acts as a “wayfinder” for travelers. According to the land’s backstory, Black Spire Outpost was once a busy crossroads for sub-lightspeed trade routes that was deserted due to the rise of hyperspace travel. The abandoned village then became a safe haven for people looking for a safe haven away from the mainstream like smugglers, rogue traders, and adventurers. The secluded nature of the outpost also makes it the perfect place for anyone trying to fly under the radar of The First Order.
Rides & Attractions
In addition to the current Hollywood Studios staple Star Tours – The Adventures Continue, two all-new Star Wars attractions will make their debut in Galaxy’s Edge this year.
Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run
Smugglers Run will begin operating on August 29, when the rest of the exciting new land is open to the public. The flight simulator will feature three different secret mission scenarios to choose from.
- Mission #1: Hondo recruits you for a race on Corellia that he is SURE you won’t lose.
- Mission #2: Hondo sends you to the First Order Shipyard, potentially on a mission for the Resistance…
- Mission #3: You and your crew are on the quest to steal some cargo that is being guarded by a giant sleeping monster. While trying to complete the task, the monster wakes up.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
The Rise of the Resistance attraction will not be up and running when Galaxy’s Edge opens on August 29. It is currently scheduled to being operation on December 5, 2019.
The epic battle ride will blur the lines of fantasy and reality, putting guests right into the middle of a conflict between the First Order and the Resistance. Riders will be recruited to join Rey and Organa at a secret location but on the way, the vehicle is captured by a First Order star destroyer.
With the help of the Resistance, riders will have to escape the star destroyer, protect the secret base, and stay out of Kylo Ren’s reach.
The highly themed land has so many exciting and exotic things to explore, and the food is no exception. All five of the food and drink areas in the marketplace feature delicious menu items and eccentric characters that provide an excellent look at life on Planet Batuu.
- Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo: A “traveling diner for traveling diners” that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Oga’s Cantina: A local watering hole run by Oga Garra, the boss of the Black Spire Outpost underworld
- Ronto Roasters: Unique meat stall with a mechanical spit that is operated by a pitmaster droid
- Milk Stand: Home to Planet Batuu’s famous milk drink
- Kat Saka’s Settle: Sweet and savory popcorn stand
You can check out the full menus for all of the dining locations in Black Spire Outpost here.
In addition to the restaurants and attractions, there are several stores and workshops that are owned and operated by village locals in the Black Spire Outpost . Whether you’re looking for a new outfit to help you fit in or you want to create your own personal droid, the marketplace has a variety of eccentric places to shop.
- Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities: A mysterious den of rare and unique artifacts.
- Savi’s Workshop: Build your own lightsaber
- Droid Depot: Create and customize your very own droid
- Black Spire Outfitters: The main apparel and accessories shop in Black Spire Outpost
- Creature Stall: Filled with rare species from all across the galaxy
- Toydarian Toymaker: An eccentric workshop that sells collectibles and handcrafted toys
- First Order Cargo: A store set up by the First Order to help them fit in with the locals while on the hunt for The Resistance
- Resistance Supply: A makeshift shop/secret post run by the Resistance
For more information about these cool stores, check out this shopping guide.
Because Black Spire Outpost has become a melting pot of aliens, droids, and eccentric people, there is no shortage of crazy character interactions to be had on planet Batuu. While roaming the land, these are some of the places you may encounter unique creatures:
- The Resistance Encampment: Rey and Chewbacca
- Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run: Chewbacca and Hondo Ohnaka
- Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities: Dok-Ondar, Dianoga, Felucian Fireflies, Ollopom, Profrogg, Sarlacc, Wampa, and Womp Rat
- Oga’s Cantina: Oga Garra, Mynock, Swamp Slug, Worrt, and DJ R-3X
- Savi’s Workshop: The Gatherers
- Black Spire Outpost: Vi Moradi
- Docking Bay 9 (the First Order Encampment): Kylo Ren
- Toydarian Toymaker: Zabaka
- Creature Stall: Convor, Dokma, Fyrnock, Loth-Cat, Kowakian Money-Lizard, Momong, Puffer Pig, and Worrt
- Black Spire Outpost Water Fountain: Dianoga
- Ronto Roasters: 8D-J8
- Spaceport: R5-P8
Play Disney Parks App
Immersive lands have become pretty standard at Disney World (hello, Pandora and Toy Story Land) but Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is taking it even further by providing an environment that guests can interact with even further with the Play Disney Parks app. You will be able to engage with the world of Planet Bantuu in several ways such as translating galactic languages, finding surprises hidden in crates and containers, and completing tasks while participating in various missions. Some elements that will react to commands via the app include antenna rays, door panels, water fountains, droids and media screens.
Star Wars Hotel
Although the new land is not open yet, plans to add on to Galaxy’s Edge are already underway. A unique hotel is already in the works on the south side of the park, just east of World Drive. The resort is a true dream come true for Star Wars lovers because it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge.
Hotel guests will board a starship that comes alive with characters and stories that will follow them throughout their stay. Stay tuned for more information on the amazing vacation experience!