It’s June 1st, which means we’re inching closer and closer to the first official day of summer! Slowly but surely, people from all over the country are getting ready to take their much needed summer vacations and Orlando is definitely high on the list of top destinations. With the increase in crowds and costs that come with traveling to a tourist area during peak season, it’s always helpful to have an idea of what to plan for. Here’s what’s going on around Central Florida this month.
- 30 minutes prior to Hollywood Studios’ nightly Star Wars Galactic Spectacular, park visitors can now enjoy “Disney Movie Magic,” a projection mapping show display on the Chinese Theater. The ten minute show highlights scenes from Mary Poppins, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron, Indiana Jones, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Vivoli il Gelato, Disney Springs’ hidden gem of a dessert shop, is currently offering special limited edition flavors only for the summer. Stop in now to try Peanut Butter & jelly, Pineapple & Coconut, or Vanilla & Orange frozen treats before they’re gone.
- Preferred parking is now available for $10 at Disney Springs in the Lemon lot near West Side and the Grapefruit lot near Marketplace. Garage parking is still free of charge.
- The Chip & Dale meet and greet in Town Square at Magic Kingdom has been moved to Frontierland, and the chipmunks have been replaced by several characters from Country Bear Jamboree. Big Al, Wendel, Shaker, and Liver Lips will be wandering around Frontierland at various times during the day instead of at a specific meeting place and time.
- The Stitch meet and greet has moved from Magic Kingdom‘s Town Square to Tomorrowland, near the Carousel of Progress. This new location coincides with the reopening of Stitch’s Great Escape, open now til August 19.
- You can now also meet Star Lord and Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy inOne Man’s Dream at Hollywood Studios daily, until the end of the year.
- Mobile ordering on the My Disney Experience app is now offered at select restaurants at Animal Kingdom. Currently available at Satu’li Canteen, the convenient option will be available at Pizzafari on June 6th. Mobile ordering can not be used with Dining Plans or discount offers.
- Starting June 1, guests can now take a “Premium Day Cruise Around the World”, a 60 minute specialty cruise around the World Showcase Lagoon. Departing from Bayside Marina at Disney’s Yacht Club, up to 10 people can board the cruise for $149 plus tax. Call (407) WDW-PLAY for more information.
- The grand opening of Kraken: Unleashed is June 16 at SeaWorld Orlando.
- New Photopass magic spots at Animal Kingdom allow you to have digital characters from The Jungle Book, The Lion Guard, Avatar, A Bug’s Life, and Born in China added to your photos. Photopass photographers can help you pose to incorporate the characters after your picture is taken.
- I Drive 360’s newest addition, Uncle Julio’s Mexican Restaurant, opens june 27
- The E.T. Adventure is closed at Universal Orlando until June 3
- Epcot’s Mission space will close for refurbishment from June 5 to reopen at the end of July.
- Hollywood Studios’ Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away stage show will be postponed until June 16. The show will resume on mobile stages that can be moved to create more viewing space for the park’s night time entertainment, Star Wars Galactic Spectacular and Disney Movie Magic.
- The Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom is until June 29, when it reopens with the addition of the 45th President.
- On Wednesdays this June, Disney’s Grand Floridian is bringing back their “Gone Mad Party.” From 8:30 to 10:30 p.m., guests can watch the Mgic Kingdom’s Happily Ever After Spectacular and indulge in Alice in Wonderland themed snacks on the resort’s back patio behind the Gasparilla Grill.
- The Build-Your-Own Mickey Waffle breakfast is back at Animal Kingdom‘s Restaurantosaurus for a limited time, now until June 10th. The breakfast includes Mickey Waffle platters for adults and children with a selection of 12 different toppings, as well as cereals and yogurt parfaits.
- Spring Street Eats Food Truck Rally will be hosted at Disney Springs on June 2 from 4:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. and on June 3 from noon – 11:00 p.m., on the West Side near Cirque du Solelil. There will be 8 different trucks, including both Disney favorites and local vendors: Fantasy Fare, World Showcase of Flavor, Caketeer, Philly’s Best Cheesesteaks, 900 Degreez Pizza, Magic 4 UR Palate, The London Fish & Chippy, and Tikiz Shaved Ice.
- Get a special preview of Cars 3 in One Man’s Dream at Hollywood Studios until June 25th!
- Electric Ocean, SeaWorld‘s new nighttime spectacular begins June 17. The summer evening celebration is a festival of lights, music, and vibrant sea life. Dance along with live performers inspired by sea creatures as DJs turn the park into an all ages club and end the ngiht by watching a mesmerizing spectacular of fountains and fireworks. The event ends August 6.
- Summer Nights at Busch Gardens begins June 16. Some changes this year include three new party zones: Fiesta Fiesta!, Luau, and Vibin’ Village. Guests can also purchase a Summer Nights Sampler Lanyard that provides eight food samples throughout the park. The sampler lanyard costs $34.99 and passholder discounts are available.
- Coinciding with Summer Nights, there is a new ice dancing show in Busch Gardens Tampa’s morrocan palace theater.”Turn It Up!” is being billed as “The hottest show on ice.” Guests can expect contemportary performances on ice accompanied by pop music.