The month of May can easily be considered the perfect time of year to visit most tourist attractions; the spring break crowds are long gone, and the summer rush isn’t under way yet. It’s the sweet spot where guests can enjoy the sunshine but not the brutal heat of summer as well as navigate through the parks without battling peak season crowds. If you’re preparing for a trip to Florida’s famous travel spots, here are some things that may help guide your planning process.
- The Incredibles dance party in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom ended on April 30th, but is being replaced by a Mr. Incredible meet and greet from May 1-18 until the replacement event Cosmic Dance Party begins
- “Happily Ever After” premieres at Magic Kingdom on May 12. The new nighttime spectacular will feature projection mapping technology, a new original score, fresh animation, and thrilling pyrotecnics and lasers. The show tells the story of Disney characters from Moana, Big Hero 6, Zootopia and more as they set out to pursue their dreams.
- The grand opening for Universal’s water theme park Volcano Bay is May 25.
- Pop, presented by SeaWorld and Bubble Legendary, is a brand new show starring bubble master Fan Yang. Using only bubbles, Yang depicts the ocean’s brilliance and the colorful life under the sea. The show officially opens on May 25.
- On May 26 Hollywood Studios will debut its summertime show The Music of Pixar Live! in the Theater of Stars. The limited-time concert series features music from popular Pixar films including Up, Cars, Toy Story and Finding Nemo played by a live orchestra. There will be stage appearances from familiar characters like Woody, The Incredibles, Mike & Sully, and more. The Beauty and the Beast show will continue to be held in the theater for morning and early afternoon shows.
- Guests can purchase for the Music of Pixar dining packages or Music of Pixar + Fantastmic combo dining packages that include guaranteed seats at your preferred showtime and a meal at Hollywood & Vine, Mama Melrose’s or The Hollywood Brown Derby. Make your reservations online or call (407)WDW-DINE.
- Pandora opens at Animal Kingdom on May 27. The addition of this new land has led to some changes in FastPass reservations for Animal Kingdom. You can find out more about the reservation process here.
- Typhoon Lagoon has a new raft ride called Miss Adventure falls, guaranteed to be fun for the whole family!
- The Tiger portion of Animal Kingdom‘s Maharajah Jungle Trek is closed to public until May 5 for refurbishments. The rest of the Jungle Trek exhibit is operating normally.
- Typhoon Lagoon will be closed to the public for two days, May 15 & 16 for maintenance. It will reopen to guests on May 17.
- The Walt Disney World Monorail system will be modified slightly on May 16,17,23, and 24. On these days, the Resort Monorail will not service The Contemporary or the Transportation & Ticket Center. The Express Monorail will service the Contemporary in addition to its regular stops at the TTC and Magic Kingdom.
- Magic Kingdom‘s Prince Charming Carousel is closed until May 18
- Stitch’s Great Escape reopens for the summer on May 28th at Magic Kingdom.
- The Hall of Presidents attraction at Magic Kingdom is closed for updates until June 3.
- SeaWorld‘s Kraken is currently closed until June, when the ride will reopen with virtual reality features added.
- Portobello Italian Trattoria at Disney Springs is now closed and will reopen as a brand new Italian restaurant in Fall 2017.
- Epcot‘s Flower and Garden Fest is going on until May 29,and it’s included with park admission.
- Lego Star Wars Weekends at LEGOLAND will take place on May 6-7, and May 13-14. Get all the details for these highly anticipated weekends here.
- Busch Gardens is hosting two Sesame Street Kids’ Weekends in May. During Rubber Duckie Weekend May 6 – 7, young guests can help Ernie find his missing rubber duckie during an exciting scavenger hunt. On May 13-14 join Cookie Monster in celebrating Cookie Monster Weekend, complete with special treats from Busch Gardens and TG Lee. Both weekends will offer other special activities from 2 p.m.-5 p.m. each day including character parades every hour, craft stations, and dance parties.
The end of May also brings the beginning of summer season. Peak season officially begins May 26th, which typically means higher prices for park tickets and hotel reservations. You can browse discount tickets for theme parks and other attractions on tickets2you.com.